Absalom Brown was born about 1778 in Pendleton District, South Carolina, where he eventually owned property on Brushy Creek and Georges Creek of the Saluda River. He later moved to the Collins River Valley, Warren County, Tennessee. In Hubbards Cave (a Tennessee State Natural Area, now owned by The Nature Conservancy) located on the side of “Brown Mountain,” which is named for him, an inscription reads: “Absalom Brown 1809.” His name appears on the 1812 Warren County Tax List. On 7/31/1812, he purchased for $305 a 200-acre tract of land on the Collins River from Abednigo Green, Jr., Jeremiah Foster, Thomas Brown, and Polly Green, heirs of Abednego Green, Sr. His name appears in the 1820 thru 1860 Warren County Census Reports, along with land surveys recorded in 1824 and 1827. He is listed as Warren County Turnpike Commissioner in 1822, 1826 and 1829. Absalom died in 1868, just before his 90th birthday. A family reunion is held every year in Beersheba Springs, Tennessee.
During the Creek Indian Wars of 1814, considered part of the War of 1812, Absalom served under Capt. James Tait (Tate), in Col. Stephen Copeland’s 3rd Regiment of Tennessee Militia, which was at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend.
He served as minister at Shiloh Methodist Church, established in 1809.